Transitioning

Yes you read the title correctly. I am transitioning.For those who do now know what that means, let me explain. Over the years I have always put relaxers in my hair ( a chemical process to straighten my hair) but I am not going to lie. I cannot stand doing it. If you don't do it on time your hair looks a mess, if you get the wrong stylist you may end up with a burnt scalp or bald patches. Either way I am over the whole thing.

BUT I am not going to do the BIG CHOP!
Amber Mag



I have worked to hard and long to get my hair from a lovely short cut to beautiful bob to the length that I have now.  Along the way I have had help from my friend Takia (a hair stylist with many talents) and prior to her it was my stylist for almost 10years Karlene.
Takia
Karlene

With that being said I hit up my close friend GOOGLE to find some tips on making my process smoother and easy.

From Nappturality I found an article on Ending the Relaxer Cycle This great source allowed me to gather some helpful information.
Schools of Thought
There are 2 schools of thought on transitioning.
School 1. Cut the relaxed hair off right away
No doubt, the quickest and easiest way to go from relaxed to napptural hair is to simply cut the relaxed hair off. This is referred to as THE BIG CHOP. Depending on how much napptural hair you have, this could mean you shave your head or cut your hair down to a twa (teeny weeny afro). This is the transition method of choice for many because it gives the person the opportunity to learn about their hair as it grows. Plus it looks great!
School 2. Gradually grow your hair out
This option means you keep your relaxed hair while you grow the napptural hair out. This method requires much more work, (depending on how long you keep the relaxed hair) unless you transition with a covering style such as weaving, wigs or braids.
 (I took the quiz that followed entitled: I want to stop relaxing.What do I do? and this is what I scored meant.)
Your score:Between 45 and 60 points... 
You're in for the "Short Transition"Your score indicates the best path for you to follow is to transition for a short period of time. This means that you will be happiest if you can hold on to your relaxed hair for a short amount of time while working with the two textures. You probably are adept at styling your hair and are willing to learn a few more skills in order to wear longer hairstyles while transitioning.Your transitioning may take anywhere from 2 to 6 months. It may be an option for you to transition with braids or a weave. If you aren't a skilled stylist with your hair or if you are getting frustrated with the two textures, consider having extensions put in for a little while, giving your hair a little length before cutting off the relaxed ends. Be sure to read the section "Extension Route" for help with extensions.Keep in mind that if your relaxed hair is severely damaged, it is recommended that you cut it off. You will not be able to manage two textures if the relaxed hair is damaged because breakage is inevitable. If this is the case, you may want to enquire about a loose weave because individual braids may put too much tension and strain on your hair, causing more damage.
You may be interested in learning how to straw set and roller set your hair. Also, flat twists and two-strand twists (extensions or natural) are options which can help the two textures of hair look similar. Check out the section on Transition Styles to learn more about styling your hair. 
I have also found this great channel on youtube to use! Kimmay Tube has a selection for just about everyone.

Grow It: How to Grow Afro-Textured Hair to Maximum Lengths in the Shortest TimeI will be purchasing this book.


There are also other great site that I have found along the way. Please check them out. They are great even if you are not transitioning. =)

So we are off on this journey for my new natural hair. =) Enjoy the ride!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Thing of Beauty

Worthy Magazine! Finally here and FEARLESS!

Sunshine