You Live and You Learn

The absence.......


While I was growing up my father was not around and his absence, as expected, had an effect on my life in one way or another. Even though he has been absent I have learned some very valuable concepts from our relationship.

The first one was to cherish those who are in my life and to live life to the fullest with those people. A lot of times we will dwell on those who are not in our lives and why they are not there but all that does is keeps us from enjoying the time with those that are with us at the time. Why should it matter that someone is not there anymore, when they have removed them selves from the equation? If the person did not want to be around you or talk to you any longer then why does it bother you to point that those around you just aren't good enough for you to be happy with them? I am not saying that you should completely dismiss the fact that a person is not in your life but once you confront the feelings that you have with that issue of them not being there, you will come to realize that those in your life are way more valuable than those who have cropped themselves out of the picture.

Secondly, holding a grudge only has an effect on me, which led to me learning that forgiveness and taking away a valuable lesson from every relationship is best. At the end of the day holding a grudge only hurts the person that is upset, because after a while the other person will move on and forget all about you and what they did to make you upset.

In addition, I have also learned not to dwell on the past and to move forward. For me the best way to move forward was through my education. A prime example is when I arrived at the University of Florida I was set on having a major in Mathematics and would not consider any other majors. My first semester was a flop, mean that I did not do well in the course work that was necessary in the field. And the following semester I did the same thing because I would dwell on my mistakes and did not try to see any other options. This had a major effect on my grade point average and it was an eye opener for me to move forward. It has led to my current passion and major of anthropology and education minor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Thing of Beauty

Worthy Magazine! Finally here and FEARLESS!

Sunshine